Oracle Database Instance Recovery Tutorial
Is It Possible to Corrupt an Oracle Database?
No, You Cannot – Not If It Is Properly Administered
Why? Because the mechanism of redo and undo is the best yet developed on this planet.
In this tutorial, Oracle Certified Master John Watson will explain redo, undo, commit, instance recovery and demonstrate why your database can never lose one row of committed data.
Learn what actually happens, in memory and on disc, when DML is issued. John will demonstrate that instance recovery is automatic, and unstoppable.
This is critical and essential knowledge for all Oracle Administrators and DBA students.
Presenter: John Watson, Oracle Certified Master
This free tutorial is segmented into fourteen separate lessons:
- Introduction to Oracle Certified Master John Watson and SkillBuilders (1:44)
- Tutorial Agenda (2:40)
- The Database ACID Test (3:09)
- Physical and Logical Corruption (1:37)
- Demonstration – What Does Oracle do when DML is Executed? (9:47)
- Commit and the Log File Sync Wait Event (1:18)
- When Why and How Does Oracle Write to Disk (1:58)
- What About Checkpoints? (1:16)
- Discussion about COMMIT NOWAIT (3:46)
- Lecture – What Oracle Database does when DML is Executed (7:22)
- The Oracle Instant Crash Recovery Mechanism (6:24) (click on video below)
- Principles to Remember (0:52)
- Oracle – The Incorruptible Database (1:54)
- Next Steps (0:47)
Date: Jun 4, 2013
NOTE: Some corporate firewalls will not allow videos hosted by YouTube.