Oracle SQL Tuning – Core Skills for Beginners
Duration: 1 Day
Writing SQL that performs well means understanding what Oracle is doing to the SQL: how it is executing the code, and why it is executing it that way. Then make changes needed to let Oracle run the code in a more efficient manner. This course will show you how to capture and read the execution plans, and how to detect and fix the common problems that prevent code from running well.
In just one day, we will empower you: your SQL will never be the same again.
This class is a combination of lecture, live demonstrations and brief hands-on workshops. Each student will receive, in addition to Oracle SQL Performance Tuning and Optimization (Meade), Oracle Certified Master John Watson’s scripts and slides used during class.
If you prefer a more in-depth, broader coverage of SQL Tuning, consider our 3-Day SQL Tuning Class
If you are a student of an accredited academic institution call us for a 25% discount.
- The SQL execution cycle
- Cost based optimization
- Detecting badly performing SQLs
- EXPLAIN PLAN
- Join order, join method, access method
- Why does the CBO sometimes get it wrong?
- The importance of statistics
- Detect and fix incorrect or inadequate statistics
- Common programmer errors
- Identify "suspicious" SQL constructs
- Use hints to test alternative execution plans
- Learn a proven technique for addressing problem SQLs