Solaris 11 New Features Training
Duration: 5 Days
5 Day Onsite or 35 Hour Online Hands-On Training
Learn the New Features of Solaris 11! Learn Solaris 11 Installation! Prepare for Certification!
This course is intended for Solaris 10 Administrators who wish to quickly get up to speed with the new features of Solaris 11. It covers all the major new facilities, in a workshop environment, providing extensive hands-on workshops.
This course is similar to Oracle’s Transition to Solaris 11 (ID: D73488GC10 ) but considerably less expensive. This course provides preparation for the Upgrade to Solaris 11 Systems Administrator (1Z1-820 [beta] and 1Z0-820) exam.
Watch instructor Mick Hosegood’s tutorial on ZFS file system enhancements in Solaris 11…Click HERE for full screen.
If you are a student of an accredited academic institution call us for a 25% discount.
- Preparations for installation.
- Overview of install methods.
- Review of installation using the interactive installer (SPARC and Intel).
- Installation with AI media (automated installer) (SPARC and Intel).
- Using Tex and AI media for troubleshooting, etc.
- Automated network installs, and how to migrate Solaris 10 Jumpstart rules, sysidcfg and profiles.
- Using the distribution constructor to build custom Solaris images and ISO's.
- Unified Archives; creating clone and recovery archives. Create bootable media from archives.
- Deploying unified archives using AI and in zones.
- Overview of the IPS( Image Package System).
- Review of basic pkg commands to list packages and packages information.
- Installing, verifying, fixing and removing packages.
- Package group managemnt.
- Using the packagmanager GUI.
- IPS repository management, including the creation and use of local release and support repositories.
- Best pracitices for keeping a system up-to-date. How to update to Solaris 11.3.
- Boot environments in Solaris 11 compared to Live Upgrade in Solaris 10.
- Managing BE's with beadm.
- BE's and IPS - how they interact.
- Overview of new zone features.
- Creating and managing zones, including the use of AI (The Solaris 11 Auto Install feature).
- Creating a branded Solaris 10 zone, including p2v and v2v conversions.
- NFS server now supported in a non-global zone.
- Immutable (Read-only) zones.
- Virtual Network features in zones. (VNICs).
- Kernel Zones.
- Monitor zone resources.
- Day-to-day network configuration and management changes/enhancements.
- The new ipadm and enhanced dladm command.
- The new network virtualization features including VNICs and Etherstubs.
- Network Auto-Magic (NWAM). Now called Reactive Networking.
- Implement IPMP (Internet Protocol Multi-Pathing) and Link Aggregations for network high availability.
- Data Link Manipulating (DLPM) aggregations ( a facility unique to Solaris 11)
- Use network bandwidth control and flows, and network bridges.
- ipadm and IPv6.
- Using a variety of new network monitoring utilities.
- Overview of the new and changed features.
- ZFS deduplication.
- ZFS snapshot changes.
- ZFS zpool split - the ability to split a mirror from a pool, then import it.
- ZFS shadow migration.
- ZFS sharing with NFS and CIFS.
- Describe the COMSTAR (COmmon Multiprotocol Scsi TARget) framework.
- Implement iSCSI including target and initiator systems.
- Overview of the new security features.
- Overview of the Solaris 11 Cryptographic Framework
- Configure ZFS data encryption, and create an encrypted file system.
- System integrity using the Basic Audit Reporting Tool (BART), including report customization.
- Immutable (read-only) zones.
- The Audit recording system, with full practical examples.
- New Solaris 11 compliance features such as PCI-DSS.
General Changes and minor enhancements
- Changes in SMF such as storage of properties, and property layers.
- System Backup and Recovery - how to take a full ZFS root filesystem backup, and how to restore it.
- Role Based Access Control (RBAC) - With the Solaris Management Console (SMC) now abandoned in Solaris 11, how is RBAC managed?
- An extensive section covers the creation and management of RBAC rights and profiles.
Solaris 11 Features not covered in other vendors courses
- SMF changes
- Unified archives - a new mechanism to capture clone and backup system images.
- Deploying systems using Unified archives, including zones. Creating bootable media from Unified archives.
- System backup and Recovery (i.e. A full Solaris 11 OS).
- CIFS network file sharing.