What is Oracle Grid Infrastructure – A Free Tutorial
What is Grid Infrastructure? (Hint: It is not Grid Control.)
It is still possible to run an Oracle database without Oracle Grid Infrastructure. But is it sensible? And, if you want to use ASM – which we strongly recommend – you need GI!
In this tutorial you will learn how Grid Infrastructure can replace (or complement) third party products for RAID, network management, and high availability. At the same time, using these facilities can improve performance dramatically. Grid Infrastructure is the way Oracle is moving, and we want to show you that it is not necessarily complicated and can indeed make your life simpler. It can also save you money.
Content: live demonstrations of configuring and using Grid Infrastructure services with release 11g.
Audience: DBAs looking for entry level knowledge of what Grid Infrastruture can do.
Presenter: John Watson, Oracle Certified Master DBA
This free training is segmented into several separate lessons:
- Introduction (1:35)
- Why All Administrators Need to Know Grid Infrastructure (3:27) (click on video below)
- Intro to Network Administration with Grid Infrastructure (3:18)
- Demonstration – Network Administration with Grid Infrastructure (5:46)
- Network Administration with Grid Infrastructure Q & A (3:28)
- Grid Infrastructure Licensing Tips (1:21)
- Grid Infrastructure Storage Management, ACFS, the Cloud File System (5:00)
- Demonstration: ACFS, Cloud File System, Storage Management (4:02)
- High Availability with Oracle Grid Infrastructure (10:50)
- SQL Net Listening Architecture and SCAN (4:26)
- Conclusion: Planning for Oracle 11g / 12c Grid Infrastructure (1:16)
Date: Feb 21, 2013
NOTE: Some corporate firewalls will not allow videos hosted by YouTube.