SQL Plan Baselines Are Your Friend
Recommended Prerequisite: Free Tutorial: How to Read an Execution Plan
Learn how to use sql plan baselining to maintain consistent performance when upgrading an Oracle Database.
We all know what happens with performance when you upgrade: 90% of your SQLs run the same, 9% run better, and for 1% performance drops through the floor. And if you are unlucky, it is the 1% that matter.
The solution is Baselining. Baselines stabilize your execution plans through the change, letting you upgrade safely. The basic functionality is now available for SE2 as well as EE.
Oracle Certified Master DBA John Watson will demonstrate identifying a problem caused by an upgrade from 11g to 19c, capturing a baseline on 11g, transferring the baseline to 19c, and showing that the 11g plan is carried through and performance returns to normal.
John Watson, Oracle Certified Master DBA
Dave Anderson, SkillBuilders Founder and DBA
- Lectures 6
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 60 minutes
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 31
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
- Introduction to Stabilizing Performance when Upgrading an Oracle Database
- Lesson 1: Why an Upgrade can be Frightening
- Lesson 2: Identify and Stabilize an SQL
- Lesson 3: Stabilize the Entire Environment
- Lesson 4: Let Your Plans Evolve
- Questions and Answers to Stabilizing Performance when Upgrading an Oracle Database